Established in 2008, Astrotalkuk.org is a not for profit website/blog on astronomy, space and my writing. In line with my interest this blog now occasionally includes some posts associated with cybersecurity.
This is a free nonauthoritative educational resource for anyone with an interest. This site has no ads, subscriptions and you do not need to login to access the content. For an ocassional newsletter – subscribe here.
Gurbir Singh is a UK based space writer. His professional background is in the IT sector as a Senior Cyber Security Consultant for a large IT company. He studied science and computing and holds a science and an arts degree. Once keen on aviation, he has a private pilot’s licence for the UK, USA and Australia. He was one of 13,000 unsuccessful applicants responding to the 1989 advert in the UK “Astronaut wanted. No experience necessary” to become the first British astronaut, for which Helen Sharman was eventually selected and flew on the Soviet space station MIR in 1991
In 2011, Gurbir published his first book, Yuri Gagarin in London and Manchester. The book traces the visit of the world’s first spaceman’s visit to England with first-hand accounts from the people who saw and met him. His second book, The Indian Space Programme published in October 2017, is a detailed (600+pages) and illustrated account of India’s space programme, its current capabilities, and achievements and future ambitions.
His new book “Stephen H Smith” India’s forgotten Rocket Mail Pioneer will be available from March 2019.
On social media, he can be found at
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/astrotalkuk/id280292011
- Twitter: @gurbirsingh
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RSS: feed.feedburner.com/astrotalkuk
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gurbisinghastro
- Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/user3791838/videos/sort:plays
- Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/astrotalkuk
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrotalkuk/sets/
In the media
- January 2021 – Youtube Video The Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence – Current Status of the Search
- January 2021 – Youtube Video The Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence – Techniques and Technology
- January 2021 – Youtube Video Search for Life in the Solar System
- January 2021 – Youtube Video Search for the origins of life
- March-April 2021 https://www.gyanvitaranammag.com/ – India in Space
July-August 2020 https://www.gyanvitaranammag.com/ – India’s forgotten rocket pioneer
- 10 July 2020. Interplanetary Podcast. India’s Forgotten Rocket Pioneer.
- 19 June 2020. New Space India Podcast. India’s Forgotten Rocket Pioneer.
- Mars 2020. Spacewalks and Money Talks – Audio Interview
- 7 Sep 2019 SpaceJam Bangalore-Youtube video. Recorded at We Work, Galaxy, Bangalore.
- 5 Sep 2019 Episode 6 on Newspace India Podcast. Recorded at the Takhsishila Institution in Bangalore.
- 20 February 2019. Xtended Internet Radio Programme. Interviewed by Pieter Johnson and Tim Robinson. Audio podcast.
- 31 January 2019. Interplanetary Podcast. Part 2. Interviewed by Matthew Russell Audio podcast.
- 13 January 2019. The Space Snow. Interviewed by Dr David Livingston Audio podcast
- 13 December 2018. Interplanetary Podcast. Part 1. Interviewed by Matthew Russell Audio podcast
- 17/07/2018: The Planetary Society – How India built NavIC, the country’s own GPS network
- 11 March 2018. Talat Farooq Awan. BBC Radio Manchester. Audio on Youtube.
- 9 May 2018 Interview on Pothi.com
- 20 April 2018. Self Publishing podcast. Interviewed by Paul Teague. Audio podcast. Scroll down to the bottom to for the player.
- 31/03/2014: The Space Review – Prospects for the Indian human spaceflight program
Robert Crook says
I am in the research stage of a project to produce a mobile camera obscura. I’m intending to take this around the country to introduce people to them. Where I am a builder I have no problems building the temporary structure and possibly the mechanism to house the working parts of the camera obscura, but I have very limited knowledge on the science behind it. I am hoping that you will know someone that can advice me on what mirror and lens I should use for this and possible a good supplier.
Your societies help would be greatly appreciated.
Try Peter Drew at the astronomy centre – http://astronomycentre.org.uk/
Liam Starkey says
Message for Gurbir Singh
Its Liam here from Made in Manchester Productions. Thanks once again for your interesting talk on Yuri Gagarin.
I am currently making a radio documentary about the history of Manchester and Trafford. How can I get hold of some of the audio (audio accompanying film) that you used in your lecture. Its for a docco for BBC Radio Manchester.
Contact Geoff Senior at northwest film archive (www.nwfa.mmu.ac.uk/)